For symfony 1.3, ...

focus on performances

even if there are a lot of ways to increase, we must admit that symfony is not the fastest framework by default, and we should therefore focus on making it faster

844 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FrostyFrosty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 with Benjamin. The performance problems mainly come from how the framework is used, not the framework itself.

• prometheasprometheas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm with benjamin.

i've not been finding symfony's performance to be hurting in any sense - all my profiling has shown that all useful optimizations have always been in the application logic.

as for ORM level caching, Propel 1.3 supports this (not sure about Doctrine). there is a memcache plugin, but since it has dependencies on your PHP build, i strongly suggest keepin them out of core.

• Benjamin MeynellBenjamin Meynell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly DISAGREE that performance should be a top priority. There are a myriad of things one can do to improve the performance of one's application. Symfony is NOT the bottleneck and this is PROVEN in the REAL WORLD with top 100 sites running symfony (Yahoo, DailyMotion, and maybe others...).

• Gavin LoveGavin Love commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say the main area to focus on the caching system, better integration to memcache or APC etc and better caching at the ORM level.

For example today I realised the pager->getResults() always runs the query even if nothing has changed so i had to add a wrapper to cache results

• u.nitscheu.nitsche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Performance optimization should be done in cooperation which real case high traffic applications.

Feedback and Knowledge Base