For symfony 1.3, ...

Complete the API documentation (like the Java one)

Complete the API documentation (like the Java one). All the parameters, examples, ...

170 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dennis GearonDennis Gearon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Documentation, FULL, I repeat, FULL Documentation and Form Simplicity are the major holdups for an explosion of adption likek PHP itself experienced (Symfony is capable of it) The web interface could use URL and form field searching on every page as per PHP.net. Instead of typing http://www.symfony-project.org/api/x_x/search item, just let us use http://symfony-project.org/search_itme. Give us the most recently released version with links to the older version (or inline the differences in the older versions as per PHP.net). And in the API pages, where it says 'view code', take us right to the function itself, 'k?

Symfony really is the young cowboy's tool. If you are a fanatic about coding, and stay up nights reading the entire library's code, well, then you can use Symfony to wonderful advantage - It really is a great product. If OTOH you want to just implement using complete documentation, i.e., you are over 35 in age, well, be preparte to spend time that you wish you did not have to.

• gnagnognagno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be nice to have something like the phpdoc, where users can post comments and suggestion

I would even like to have some kind of link between the pages in the api, for example in the sfAction page i read:
        (bool) initialize ((sfContext) $context, $moduleName, $actionName)

why not make sfContext a link to the doc page of sfContext?

• klemens_uklemens_u commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Compared to other frameworks, the API is a weak point in symfony. It would be nice to see if that could be improved.

Feedback and Knowledge Base